Held AtGloucestershire Archives
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoS154/31
TitleGloucester, Whaddon Council, Infant and Junior Schools, later Tuffley Primary School
Date1905-2005
DescriptionRecords of Tuffley Primary School and predecessor schools including log books 1905-2000; punishment book 1909-1943; admission registers 1960-1992, *1992-2003; visitors' books 1970s -1998; *accident report book 1999-2000; records of work done to school building and site 2001-2003; photograph albums 1950s; photographs of school site and buildings, class groups, sports teams, plays, trips and excursions 1950s-2005; *Governors' minutes and other papers, 1992-2007; *Letter to Mr B J Herrin of the British School, Nailsworth appointing him first headmaster of new school at Whaddon; *photographs and other items relating to Whaddon school centenary celebrations in 2005
NotesAccessions 10314, 10370, 10495, 12435, 12877 & 12891 are uncatalogued
Admin HistoryWhaddon School was opened by Gloucestershire Education Authority to serve country parts of the Tuffley area and the village of Whaddon. It began in 1905, in a temporary tin hut, with sixty 7-13 years olds and thirty infants separated from each other by a curtain. Numbers soon increased to around 120 and a permanent building, containing a hall and four classrooms, was formally opened on 20 September 1907. The site was on Stroud Road, just on the Gloucester side of Whaddon village. The architect was R.S. Phillips, the builder W.T. Nicholls and the total cost around £3000.

On 1 April 1935, the school was transferred to Gloucester City LEA, due to further expansion of the city boundary, and it was reorganized as a junior school in September 1936, with senior pupils transferred to Linden Road School. A mains water supply was provided in 1940. Mr Benjamin Herrin was headmaster for 38 years, from the opening in 1905 to his retirement in 1943. Numbers increased after World War Two and hutted rooms were added in 1946, 1948 and 1954. Despite these measures and the opening of the nearby Grange Infant School, the school remained overcrowded as housing in the area increased.

In 1958, a new infant school under a separate head teacher was built at the rear of the existing buildings, which became a junior school. The infant school contained 5 classrooms, and was designed to serve the lower Tuffley area to the east of the main railway line.

By the mid-1980s, numbers had dropped to around 150 juniors and 80 infants, partly due to the opening of Harewood Schools, just over half a mile to the west. In 1991-2, the junior and infant schools were merged, as Tuffley primary school, using the buildings of the former infant school. In 1998, Tuffley Primary School had 189 pupils on the roll, aged 5-11 years, and operated a centre for pre-school children.

(For these and other details see entry in GRO's Schools Gazetteer)
Custodial HistoryDeposited by Tuffley Primary School, 3 October 2001, 22 July and 14 October 2005, 14 February 2006, 20 May 2009, 23 June 2011 and 8 September 1912
TermSchools
Related Material[See Whaddon Council School SM361, Whaddon Infant and Junior School SM154/29 (K737)]
[See also D12515/2 Photographs collected by Miss Jessamine Pugsley, headmistress]
Access ConditionsThese records are subject to the access provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018, the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004. Please note: any log books or admission registers less than 100 years old may not be viewed without completing a researcher undertaking form. Any punishment books are "subject access" only until 101 years old. Please ask staff for details.
Add to My Items
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020