Held AtGloucestershire Archives
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoDA9
TitleLeckhampton Local Board of Health
Date1861-1893
DescriptionMinutes 1861-1893; correspondence of board 1873-1893; legal papers, contracts and agreements 1873-1893; vouchers 1873-1892; Medical Officer of Health reports 1879-1893
Admin HistoryThe earliest district authorities were the Improvement Commissions set up by Tetbury in 1817 and by Stroud and Cirencester in 1825 under Local Acts of Parliament. Elsewhere, local government remained largely in the hands of the parish vestries. The Public Health Act 1848 and the Local Government Act 1858 empowered the ratepayers to create Local Boards of Health to administer such public services as sanitation, water supply and burial grounds. The first local board in Gloucestershire was established in Stroud in 1857, and in all sixteen were created, almost entirely in urban areas. Poor law unions had been given certain public health powers relating to rural areas, and in 1872 were constituted Rural Sanitary Authorities for their districts. Existing Improvement Commissions and Local Boards became Urban Sanitary Authorities. The Local Government Act 1894 redesignated urban and rural sanitary authorities as urban and rural district councils, subject to a requirement that, where possible, the whole of a rural district should lie in one county, which led to some rearrangement of names and boundaries at the fringes of Gloucestershire

The districts created in 1894 were subject to some modification as a result of changes in the county boundary in 1897-1904 and 1931 (in the south and north-east of the county respectively), and to a general modification and rationalization in 1935. The result of this rearrangement was to leave Gloucestershire with six urban and fifteen rural districts, which remained intact until 1974, when as a result of the Local Government Act 1972, six new district councils, with different powers and functions, were established in their place

Leckhampton's first official organization was a Gas Fund Committee, formed in 1861 for the purpose of lighting part only of the parish. It was joined in 1870 by the Leckhampton Sewer Authority. Both were succeeded in 1873 by a Local Board of Health which remained in existence until 1893. It was originally intended that Leckhampton be controlled by an Urban District Council, but by Local Government Board Order no. P. 892, which came into operation on 9 November 1893, part of the parish was added to Cheltenham Borough and part to Cheltenham Rural District
Custodial HistoryDeposited by Cheltenham Borough Council, 3 June 1975
TermDistrict councils
Health services
Access ConditionsThis collection has been produced by a public body. Information contained in this collection is therefore made available in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004, as well as with the access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. Information may be extracted by Gloucestershire Archives staff from records marked as closed, in reponse to written requests.
Add to My Items
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020