Held AtGloucestershire Archives
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoDA25
TitleWest Dean Rural District Council
Date1866-1974
DescriptionMinutes 1894-1944; committee minutes 1926-1950, 1972-1974; clerk's correspondence files 1917-1974; newscuttings books 1928-1938; ledgers 1920-1947; register of house purchase loans 1933-1938; valuation list 1933-1946; rate books 1927-1944; plans of council housing and other schemes 1905-1948; building plans c.1920-1931; *building control plans, c.1933-1959; planning applications c.1936-1945; Redbrook pumping station log book books 1931-1947; register of inspections of dwelling houses 1933-1939; South-West Gloucestershire Medical Officer of Health United District letter book 1911-1914
Newland and Coleford Burial Board: minutes 1866-1937; ledger 1930-1950; registers of burials, 1868-1948; register of service burials (war graves), 1942-1946; register of purchased graves, 1868-1973; registers of graves, 1868-2003
NotesAccessions 9950 and 10028 are uncatalogued
Admin HistoryThe earliest district authorities were the Improvement Commissions set up by Tetbury in 1817 and by Stroud and Cirencester in 1825 under Local Acts of Parliament. Elsewhere, local government remained largely in the hands of the parish vestries. The Public Health Act 1848 and the Local Government Act 1858 empowered the ratepayers to create Local Boards of Health to administer such public services as sanitation, water supply and burial grounds. The first local board in Gloucestershire was established in Stroud in 1857, and in all sixteen were created, almost entirely in urban areas. Poor law unions had been given certain public health powers relating to rural areas, and in 1872 were constituted Rural Sanitary Authorities for their districts. Existing Improvement Commissions and Local Boards became Urban Sanitary Authorities. The Local Government Act 1894 redesignated urban and rural sanitary authorities as urban and rural district councils, subject to a requirement that, where possible, the whole of a rural district should lie in one county, which led to some rearrangement of names and boundaries at the fringes of Gloucestershire

The districts created in 1894 were subject to some modification as a result of changes in the county boundary in 1897-1904 and 1931 (in the south and north-east of the county respectively), and to a general modification and rationalization in 1935. The result of this rearrangement was to leave Gloucestershire with six urban and fifteen rural districts, which remained intact until 1974, when as a result of the Local Government Act 1972, six new district councils, with different powers and functions, were established in their place

The Rural Sanitary Authority set up in 1872 under the control of the Guardians of Monmouth Union included several Gloucestershire parishes in its administrative area. At the end of 1894 the Rural Sanitary Authority was dissolved and these Gloucestershire parishes were formed into the West Dean Rural District. No records of Monmouth Rural Sanitary Authority were known to exist in 1976
Custodial HistoryDeposited by West Dean Rural District Council, 14 September 1923, by Forest of Dean District Council, 11 December 1975, 28 September 1977, 22 August, 1 September and 28 October 1986, 3 February 1987 and 25 June 2004, by Mr A Coker, 26 March 1984, and by Coleford Town Council, 1 October 2004 and 25 August 2011
TermDistrict councils
Health services
Planning control
Related Material[See also DA28/558 for records of Lydney Area Assessment Committee; D8222/4/1 for register of cow-keepers]
Access ConditionsThis collection has been produced by a public body. Information contained in this collection is therefore made available in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004, as well as with the access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. Information may be extracted by Gloucestershire Archives staff from records marked as closed, in reponse to written requests.
* denotes that this collection contains some uncatalogued records - please give us at least one week's notice of your visit if you would like to look at this material
Add to My Items
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020