Held AtGloucestershire Archives
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoDA17
TitleTetbury Urban District Council and predecessor authorities
Date1841-1949
DescriptionMinutes 1841-1949; clerk's letter books and correspondence files 1874-1935; ledgers 1860-1935; valuation list 1934; rate books 1874-1936; register of unfit houses 1937-1939
Admin HistoryThe earliest district authorities were the Improvement Commissions set up by Tetbury in 1817 and by Stroud and Cirencester in 1825 under Local Acts of Parliament. Elsewhere, local government remained largely in the hands of the parish vestries. The Public Health Act 1848 and the Local Government Act 1858 empowered the ratepayers to create Local Boards of Health to administer such public services as sanitation, water supply and burial grounds. The first local board in Gloucestershire was established in Stroud in 1857, and in all sixteen were created, almost entirely in urban areas. Poor law unions had been given certain public health powers relating to rural areas, and in 1872 were constituted Rural Sanitary Authorities for their districts. Existing Improvement Commissions and Local Boards became Urban Sanitary Authorities. The Local Government Act 1894 redesignated urban and rural sanitary authorities as urban and rural district councils, subject to a requirement that, where possible, the whole of a rural district should lie in one county, which led to some rearrangement of names and boundaries at the fringes of Gloucestershire

The districts created in 1894 were subject to some modification as a result of changes in the county boundary in 1897-1904 and 1931 (in the south and north-east of the county respectively), and to a general modification and rationalization in 1935. The result of this rearrangement was to leave Gloucestershire with six urban and fifteen rural districts, which remained intact until 1974, when as a result of the Local Government Act 1972, six new district councils, with different powers and functions, were established in their place

An Improvement Commission for Tetbury was set up by Act of Parliament in 1817. In 1867 a Sewage Committee was formed by the parish vestry under the 1865 Sewage Utilization Act, defining Tetbury as a Special Drainage District. However, in the next two years there was doubt as to the power of the vestry to appoint such a committee in view of the existence of the Improvement Commission. The matter was referred to the Home Office which gave the opinion that the Commissioners were the Sewer Authority, but that the ratepayers should consider setting up a Local Board of Health. This was not actually done until 1874, but the Sewage Committee does not seem to have survived beyond 1869. In 1895 the Local Board was succeeded by the Urban District Council. By virtue of the 1935 Gloucester County Review Order the town was transferred to Tetbury Rural District
Custodial HistoryDeposited by Clark and Smith of Tetbury, solicitors, 3 August 1950, by Tetbury Rural District Council, 1 May 1975, and by Cotswold District Council, 30 April 1981 and 14 January 1988
TermDistrict councils
Health services
Access ConditionsThis collection has been produced by a public body. Information contained in this collection is therefore made available in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004, as well as with the access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. Information may be extracted by Gloucestershire Archives staff from records marked as closed, in reponse to written requests.
Add to My Items
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020