Held AtGloucestershire Archives
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoD3931
TitleCirencester Methodist Circuit
Date1839-1992
DescriptionCircuit records (Cirencester Primitive Methodist Circuit, later Stroud and Cirencester Methodist Circuit), 1839-2008

Chapel records: Ampney Crucis, 1901-1983; Ashbrook, Ampney St Mary, 1886-1934; Chedworth, 1906-1950; Cirencester Primitive Methodist (later Ashboork Road) including registers of baptism, 1920-1981, marriage, 1935-1998, Sunday School registers, 1941-1977; Cirencester Wesleyan (Gloucester Street), including register of baptisms, Cirencester & Tarton, 1902-1938 and Sunday School cradle roll, 1930-1940; Fairford, 1981-1989; Kemble, 1900-1998; North Cerney, including baptism register, 1947-2004; Oakridge Lynch, including baptism register, 1899-1992 and marriage register, 1970-1994; Oaksey, 1825-1957; Poulton, (1909)-1991; South Cerney, including register of baptisms, 1961-1968; Tarlton Wesleyan, (1880)-1997; Tetbury (Long Street), 1905-1993; Winson, 1931-1953; other records. 1708-1955 including handwritten sermons by dissenting preacher, 1708-1722
ArrangementThe catalogue was re-structured and uncatalogued material added in May 2015. All previous catalogue references have been included at item level.
AppraisalRecords without archival value or context were removed following an appraisal of existing and un-catalogued material held within this collection including vouchers previously catalogued as D3931/2/6/7.
Admin HistoryVarious societies were created nationally and grouped together into Circuits under the Superintendency of a visiting Minister.

1763 Stroud area's first church was created in Acre Street, later moves to Castle Street
1763-1770 Stroud part of the Staffordshire Circuit
1770 Gloucestershire Circuit formed
1788 Worcestershire Circuit separated leaving Stroud, Cheltenham and Gloucester as three churches in a smaller geographical Circuit
1794 Gloucestershire Circuit changes name to Gloucester Circuit
1797 Stroud Circuit formed increasing in size until it reached its peak mambership of 597 members in 1824
1800 Dursley Circuit formed
1812 Winchcombe Circuit formed and name changed to Cheltenham Circuit in 1813
1838 Tewkesbury Circuit formed
c.1839 Cirencester Primitive Methodists formed
1842 Cirencester Primitive Methodists part of Brinkworth Circuit
1864 Cirencester Circuit and Stonehouse & Eastington Circuit formed
1885-1888 Stonehouse affiliated with Stroud
c.1910 Stroud, Dursley, Stonehouse and Cirencester Circuits join together to form the Mid-Gloucestershire Mission Circuit. Each remains a separate Circuit. Also includes Nailsworth, Downend and Tetbury.
1932 Wesleyans join with the Primitive Methodists and United Methodists (formerly Bible Christians) to form the Methodist Church
1932 Cirencester Primitive Methodists merged with Wesleyans into Stroud Circuit
1933 Stroud and Cirencester Wesleyan Circuits joined with the Stroudwater and Cirencester Primitive Methodist Circuits to form the Stroud and Cirencester Methodist Circuit
1936 Dursley and Stonehouse & Eastington Circuits join to form the Dursley and Stonehouse Circuit
1978 Cirencester Methodist Circuit formed from the remainder of the Stroud and Cirencester Circuit and the Stroud part of the Stroud & Cirencester Circuit joins the Dursley & Stonehouse Circuits to form the Stroud & Dursley Circuit
1991 Cheltenham and Tewkesbury Circuits merge to form the Cheltenham & Tewkesbury Circuit
2009 Methodist Circuit of Gloucestershire formed from the five remaining Circuits: Gloucester, Dursley & Stroud, Cirencester, Forest of Dean and Cheltenham & Tewkesbury
Custodial HistoryDeposited by Cirencester Methodist Circuit, per the superintendent minister, 27 November 1979, 30 August 1994, 1 July 1997 and 10 June 2005, by Ashcroft Methodist/United Reformed Church, 18 July 2008, and by the Methodist Circuit of Gloucestershire, 29 January and 30 April 2013 and 11 March, 10 June 2014 and 12 April 2016
Related MaterialMethodist Archives and Research Centre (http://www.methodistheritage.org.uk/index.htm)
SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies), University of London (http://www.soas.ac.uk/library/archives/collections/missionary-collections/#MethodistMissionarySociety)
Society of Cirplanologists, Sandwell Community History & Archives Service (http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/info/200253/archives_local_and_family_history/596/visit_the_archives_service)

Gloucestershire Archives:
D2598 Forest of Dean Methodist Circuit
D2599 Tewkesbury Methodist Circuit
D2689 Gloucester Methodist Circuit
D2770 Stroud Methodist Circuit
D3187 Stroud and Dursley Methodist Circuit
D3390 Stroud and Dursley Methodist Circuit
D3418 Cheltenham Methodist Circuit
D3987 Gloucester Methodist Circuit
D4337 United Methodist Church: Gloucester, Cheltenham and Forest of Dean Circuits
D5410 Society of Cirplanologists
D6435 South Gloucestershire Methodist Circuit; Stroud and Dursley Methodist Circuit
D6529 Forest of Dean Methodist Circuit
D7028 Cheltenham and Tewkesbury Methodist Circuit
D7751 Cirencester and Chedworth Congregational Churches
D9247 Cirencester and Stroud Methodist Circuit: Men's Supper Fellowship
D9934 Gloucestershire Methodist circuits
D13504 Methodist Circuit of Gloucestershire
D13525 Rev Leslie Wollen of Lydney, local historian and researcher
Add to My Items
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020