Held AtGloucestershire Archives
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoD14791
TitleGwladys Davies collection
Date(1828)-1968
DescriptionGwladys Davies was a keen photographer between the 1930s and 1960s when most of her photographs were taken; the aim being to preserve and document the industrial and local heritage of not only Gloucestershire, but also the surrounding counties. The collection is an archive of images in the form of negatives and prints of the mills, moats and landmarks mostly of Gloucestershire, but also including Worcestershire, Herefordshire and South Gloucestershire. Supporting the images are a series of 'scripts' [D14791/1/1] written between 1930 and 1968, which provide context and historical information for the images taken. The series mirrors the photographic arrangement, for instance, D14791/1/1/1 relates to D14791/2/1 and this pattern occurs up to D14791/2/30. Also provided are notebooks of mills and moats, articles, maps and diagrams kept by Gwladys Davies. See also DP12/48535 for local studies material relating to the City of Gloucester from the Gwladys Davies Collection. There are also several articles published by Davies including four in the Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology (GSIA): 'Mills of the River Leadon and Tributaries', newsletter No.7, April 1966 (26-43); 'Glass manufacture in Gloucester', newsletter No.9, January 1967 (17-19); 'Mills of the Severn Vale' newsletter No.10 (5-15); 'Mills of the Dean Forest Borders', newsletter No.14, February 1970 (21-25); and three in Glevensis: 'The old road from Over', 1978, issue 12; 'Llanthony Priory', 1977, issue 10; 'Abbey and Greyfriars condition', 1975, issue 8.

The collection of photographs from D14791/2 has been digitised by the Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology and made available online via the Gloucestershire Local History Association. https://glosdocs.org.uk/gd-mills

The collection was given to Gloucestershire Local Studies (GLS) when the service was based at Gloucester Library, with the references DP11 and accession 45517. The material became part of Gloucestershire Archives collections when GLS merged with Gloucestershire Record Office (GRO) in December 2005 to form Gloucestershire Archives. The decision was made, in 2018, to treat the collection as an archival one to facilitate cataloguing, and hence the collection was given the reference D14791
Access ConditionsThese records are open for research
URLPlease contact Gloucester Cathedral Library and Archive for information about accessing this document.
Add to My Items
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019