Held AtGloucestershire Archives
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoD1447
TitleFreeman, Freeman-Mitford, Edwards and Dulverton families of Batsford: Manorial records with estate maps - various places in Gloucestershire.
Date1513-1920s
DescriptionManorial records of Prescott and Stanley Pontlarge 1681-1686, Dorn in Blockley, 1819-1830, Great Wolford (Warks) 1740-1830; Stanway, Lemington and Toddington 1583, 1683-1686; Bourton and Moreton 1584-c.1650; Asthall, Swinbrook and Widford (Oxon) 1810-1849; approximately 1,700 deeds of Batsford Park and Snowshill Manor estates in Batsford, Blockley, Bourton-on-the-Hill, Lower Lemington, Longborough, Moreton-in-Marsh, Snowshill, Winchcombe, Fulbrook (Oxon), Quinton and Great Wolford (Warks) 1513-1893 and of Northumberland estates of Freeman-Mitford family 1600-1882; leases 1544-1877; estate accounts 1641-1968; estate maps and plans of Batsford, Bourton-on-the-Hill, Blockley, Donnington, Lemington, Mickleton, Moreton-in-Marsh, Snowshill, Stow-on-the-Wold, Swinbrook, Widford, Asthall and Fulbrook (Oxon), Great and Little Wolford (Warks), Cricklade (Wilts) c.1750-c.1900 including plans for landscaping of Batsford Park 1763-1785; estate correspondence 1890s-1920s; records of Moreton Adult and Infant Schools (the Warneford Trust) c.1850-1910 and of Aston Magna Brick & Tile Co 1902-1909
NotesWhile compiling this catalogue it became necessary to reassess the division of material between this collection and the related collection D2002, which was already in part an artificial grouping of material. Consequently this collection now includes a few items previously catalogued as D2002. The original catalogue reference for each such item is given in square brackets
All the material in this collection had already been listed prior to cataloguing. In order to make the collection available within a reasonable time-frame, no attempt has been made to expand existing descriptions, which are on occasion brief
Title deeds have been arranged alphabetically by parish, as their original numbering sequence, although found to be complete, proved incosistent. In most cases, deeds relating to more than one parish have been dealt with as a separate sequence at the end of the section for the relevant county; deeds relating to more than one county have been listed as a separate sequence at the end of the out-county section. Blockley has been treated as a Gloucestershire parish throughout the catalogue [it was part of Worcestershire until 1931]
ArrangementThe documents have been arranged as follows:
D1447/1 Title deeds
D1447/2 Leases
D1447/3 Inclosure
D1447/4 Surveys
D1447/5 Maps and plans
D1447/6 Estate correspondence
D1447/7 Accounts
D1447/8 Other estate records
D1447/9 Parish and charity
D1447/10 Manorial
Admin HistoryA large part of this collection comprises deeds of title to estate property, dating from the 16th century when Batsford Park estate was acquired by the Freeman family. The nucleus of the estate was centred upon Batsford and neighbouring parishes notably Moreton-in-Marsh, Bourton-on-the-Hill, Mickleton, Blockley and Snowshill. From earliest days, the estate also included property in Oxfordshire, centred on the parishes of Swinbrook, Astall and Widford, and in Warwickshire, centred on Great and Little Wolford. The sequence of title deeds is complicated by the addition of property records belonging to families into which the Freemans married. Richard Freeman (chancellor of Ireland, d. 1710) married twice. His first wife, Elizabeth, was the daughter of Anthony Keck, and this accounts for the presence of a fine series of Great Tew (Oxon.) leases, 1613-1713 [D1447/2/47]. His second wife Anna, daughter of Richard Marshall of Sellaby (Durham), brought into the family extensive properties in Durham, together with their title deeds. Richard Marshall appears to have speculated in royalist lands during the Commonwealth, and many of the miscellaneous deeds for other counties seem to have derived from these activities. Richard Freeman's daughter Mary married Walter Edwards, and deeds of property in Bitton, Horfield, Bristol and Langford (Oxon.) derive from the Edwards family
Following the death without heir of Thomas Edwards Freeman in 1808, Batsford Park estate was devised to his nephew John Mitford (1st Baron Redesdale) of Northumberland, hence the collection includes a number of deeds and other documents concerning property in Northumberland
Batsford estate remained in the hands of the Mitford family until c.1922, when it was purchased by Sir Gilbert Wills, later Lord Dulverton, father of the depositor. Many outlying portions of the estate had already been sold some years earlier
Certain of the manorial records in the collection [D1447/10/5, 6, 7 & 15] were acquired by Richard Freeman as steward of the manors concerned. The remaining records in the collection are those resulting from the administration of the estate, including its outlying portions. They include some attractive early estate maps and a good run of surveys
A family tree showing the descent of Batsford Park is contained in the introduction to the printed catalogue of the related collection D2002, which comprises family papers of the Freeman, Edwards, Mitford and related families
Custodial HistoryDeposited by the Rt Hon Lord Dulverton, 7 November 1957, 27 January 1972, 4 October 1973 and 18 April 1995
Related Material[See also D2002; D7406]; PC/724 (N)
FormatMap
Add to My Items
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019